ENY 5223C Biology and Identification of Urban Pests
Urban pests are found in many situations and are difficult to recognize. Students will be expected to identify the insect pest and recognize the damage they cause. Emphasis will be on determining ways to prevent infestations based on the pest’s biology.
- Learn to recognize wood destroying insects and their damage and understand their biology and life cycles.
- Learn to recognize cockroaches, their biology, and life cycles. Learn methods of managing cockroaches.
- Identify blood-sucking insects and understand their biology.
- Recognize pest ant species and their colony structure.
- Recognize important stored food pests.
- ENY 3005-Principles of Entomology
Special Research Project
Each student will be responsible for a written research report and presentation. The topic must be approved by instructor, and should be an in-depth review of the scientific literature. The research project report must be written as a scientific paper in Entomological Society of America format. Powerpoint presentation and written script will be a 10 minute scientific paper suitable for presentation at a scientific meeting. Student has the option of presenting the research project orally, on site in Gainesville, or by submission of the presentation and script for a grade. More information is at the end of the syllabus.